4.18.2008

Horses, Arrows and StarKillers.


I have been riding through life, sped-up by my ego, by my petty selfish desires, by my clouded mind. In many early dawns when warmer blankets of spiritual energy fell on my tired shoulders, I shrugged them off with casual indifference. When the stars above me lit a path toward sanctuary, peace, and love, I arrogantly believed I could pluck them from the skies one by one with weak arrows of hatred; tips poisoned by vanity. Forgetting that I transition from only the present to the present, I hoarded past accomplishments, conquests, and attachments like a blind man searching for his eyes in the center of a cold sun.

We are all dying stars. Supernovas beyond imagination, stretching through an infinite panorama of ceaseless existences. Reborn in brilliant perfection, it is disheartening to realize that so much time, confinement, and potential can be wasted within a lifetime of ignorance. Yet, there is comfort in knowing that a ten-decade span is but a minute (or even less) in Bodhisattva time. The truest knowledge of time does not announce itself in a chime, buzz, and ring. Time, thus, is irrelevant...a man-made invention designed for accuracy and charting, implemented for economic slavery and soulful subjugation.

And so, I still ride toward infinity on a trusty horse named Dharma. And while I think I am in command, sitting proudly on a cheap saddle spray painted gold to somehow announce my self-importance and uselessness of deluded royalty? It is Dharma who steers me without aversion, without force toward the center of it all. No hidden agenda, no psychotropic mysticism, no impurity, and no real indecision at the proverbial fork in the road.

With Dharma, it's always the same...just straight up the middle path; never linear, always circular and continual from this life to the next. I have to get rid of the few arrows I still clutch in my hands before the temptation to kill another star burns that familiar hole in my spirit.

No comments: