2.06.2008

Do Bodhisattvas Drink Bourbon?




The weather is blue. I am blue. But the sky ain't blue, no more. Blue, blue, blue. This latest blog entry is starting to sound like a country-fuck song. But, seriously, no country-tonk-honky-tonk singing for me. I'm a city rat at best. And all rats know how to survive.

That's what these days and past weeks are boiling down to at work. They are wearing me thin, playing their games while I punch holes in their schemes, exposing the futility of it all. Three things I know for sure so far in my continued life of meaningless exploits: (1) money can buy love or at least something close to the real thing (not just sex), (2) people in general are good but the addiction-to-self brings out the bad, and (3) in the end none of this is going to matter any-fuckin-way. It can be quite discouraging; the rat race. I'm not entirely jaded, yet. I'm just a little run down at the half-time show.

Bodhisattvas, you guys gotcha hands full. Peace and one love to all sentient beings.

What is a Bodhisattva?

In Tibetan Buddhism, a Bodhisattva is anyone who is motivated by compassion and seeks enlightenment not only for him/herself but also for everyone...

A Bodhisattva is motivated by pure compassion and love. Their goal is to achieve the highest level of being: that of a Buddha. Bodhisattva is a Sanskrit term which translates as: Bodhi [enlightenment] and sattva [being]. And their reason for becoming a Buddha is to help others. The Bodhisattva will undergo any type of suffering to help another sentient being, whether a tiny insect or a huge mammal. In Shakyamuni Buddha’s 'Perfection of Wisdom in 8,000 Lines' it states: “I will become a savior to all those beings, I will release them from all their sufferings.” If this sounds familiar to anyone not acquainted with Buddhism, then you only need to think of the example of Jesus Christ, a true Bodhisattva.



No comments: